Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to everyone who is a caretaker for her own family or who is a caretaker for another family. We hope you have time on Mother's Day to take a quiet break with a cup of refreshment as this mom below is doing !

Harmony by Bodil Gardner, Lystrup, Denmark. Exhibited at the 2013 Houston International Quilt Festival


In this delightful quilt, we see a mother taking a moment of repose with her children outdoors on a sunny day. Bodil writes, "As the mother of four children, I often find myself returning to the theme of this quilt." She continues from her biography, "I have been making patchwork pictures since the beginning of the 1980's. I started originally with ceramics, but....because it was more acceptable to sit at the living room table and sew -- nobody could see whether it was anything useful -- I began making patchwork."  Bodil's work is raw-edge appliqued and machine quilted.

Close-up, Harmony by Bodil Gardner


We love the way that Bodil sews circular pieces of red or pink fabric onto the faces to give them those cute  rosy cheeks !  Her characters are depicted with such whimsy and lightheartedness.

From her biography, Bodil explains, " I have not had any artistic training and was brought up to be the practical one in a creative family.....Most of the pictures have a purpose and have been months in the making. I never draw them but plan them thoroughly in my head before cutting out and fastening with pins. Then follow days of weeks where I move colors and figures around before I begin to sew....Material is bought at flea markets or arrives as gifts. Faded, well-used cottons are fascinating and nice to work with. "

Close-up, Harmony by Bodil Gardner


Who couldn't help but smile at this delightful face with its happy grin, quirky nose, and wide-set blue eyes !  Bodil notes, " My hope is that by exhibiting, I can give other women courage to exploit their own creativity. Most of them have a sewing machine and some remnants of material -- no need to invest in expensive gear."
On Mother's Day and always, we wish you the gift of some time each day to express your own artistic talents in the way that brings you fulfillment and happiness.

Image credits:  Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration.

2 comments:

  1. How completely the reverse of the way I do things but charmingly beautiful. It just goes to prove there is no "right way" or "wrong way" when it comes to creating a quilt. (and I suspect having four ... or in my case, six ... kids adds something to one's creativity).

    ReplyDelete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails